Saturday, November 27, 2010

Sounds of Silence

VintageGuitarPop 115          







[Em] Hello darkness, my old [D] friend,
I've come to talk with you [Em] again,
Because a vision soft [C]  cree [G] ping,
[Em] Left it's seeds while I [C]was sleep[G] ing,
And the [C] vision that was [C/G] planted in my [G]brain
till [Em] remains
Within the [D] sound of [Em] silence.




In restless [Em] dreams I walked [D]alone
Narrow streets of cobble [Em] stone,
'Neath the [Em] halo of a [C] street [G] lamp,
I turned my [Em] collar to the [C] cold and [G] damp
When my [C] eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon [G]light
That split the [Em] night
And touched the [D] sound of [Em] silence.


[Em] And in the naked light I [D]saw
Ten thousand people, maybe [Em] more.
[Em] People talking with[C] out [G]speaking,
[Em] People hearing without [C] listen [G]ing,
People writing songs that [C] voices never [G]share
And no one [Em] dare
Disturb the [D] sound of [Em] silence.










Em D


Fools said i, you do not know


Em


Silence like a cancer grows.


Em C G


Hear my words that I might teach you,


Em C G


Take my arms that I might reach you.


C G


But my words like silent raindrops fell,


Em


And echoed


D Em


In the wells of silence










Em D


And the people bowed and prayed


Em


To the neon God they made.


Em C G


And the sign flashed out it's warning,


Em C G


In the words that it was forming.


Em C


And the sign said, the words of the prophets


C G


Are written on the subway walls


Em


And tenement halls.


D Em


And whispered in the sounds of silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment